月曜日, 8月 01, 2011

Semi-retiring From Badminton

The decision to indefinitely semi-retire from badminton probably came as a shock for most badminton friends. Surprisingly, not to me. My shoulder injury will never heal. Don't get me wrong, I still very much love badminton. But sometimes it is necessary to distance yourself away from something or someone you really really love, in order to rediscover the passion and re-establish the appreciation of it. Japan Yonex Open is my last commitment to write for Badzine and I will hell write the best piece, my farewell piece.
Yesterday, I played with the elders in my neighborhood. Ysan, the leader's face lit up when I showed up!
I used to hate doing drills. I guess it is in the consciousness that standing on a badminton court for the last few times that makes every stroke, every play enjoyable. I had too much fun that after I smashed during the follow-through, my racket cut my upper thigh! :D I had my first smile since yesterday when Ksensei kept on hitting awkward shots, those that you rarely consider would go in. Badminton is really fun!
Although very tired, I still joined KOBC practice at night. Ty, a good young player told me that one of the fake-drop shots I did was way too cool and he wanted to learn how to do it. Ohhh^^^^ someone said my shot was way too cool!!! and asking me to teach him how to do it?! It was actually a drop receive shot (but from the shuttle flight positioning, it's more of a soft push) with a backhand grip, racket slightly facing right but at the point of impact you make a shift downward flick to the left to cause the shuttle to wobble to the left. I now remember that I used to do that probably once or twice in a day. I'll brag a little and say that it's my original style (hopefully), came out of my prior experience in table tennis (think backhand under spin). My one hope at KOBC last night - that Z will not talk about the previous night's incident (different from the fight). I'm just too emotionally loaded to deal with that now, these last few days the drama is just too much! To my disappointment he asked to walk with me until home. I did my best to limit the conversation and I think for the first time in my life, I was able to cut him out in the most polite and friendly (but yet detached manner). Well, I guess at some point in our lives we eventually learn.

0 件のコメント: