月曜日, 8月 01, 2011

World Children's Arts Contest

On my way to the Shinjuku JR train station last night, I chanced upon an art exhibit at Takashimaya's 2nd floor. Pieces that won Gold/Silver/Bronze/Finalists of this year's World Children's Art Contest were on display. 3 particularly caught my attention.
The 1st one is this runner up drawing entitled 'My Drinker Father' of a 10-year old child from Ethiopia. As I look at this piece, I can't help but think about the kind of life this child has with a father for a drunkard. Children, even though they don't mean it, really do absorb the facts of their environment. This child is so talented and what amazes me is in spite of the dark subject, the overall picture looks vibrant with the use of fuchsia pink in the background and vibrant green to accentuate, I feel....acceptance.
This second drawing is a gold medalist, untitled from an 11-year old from Serbia. What I like about it is the technique! This child is only 11-years old and he/she already manipulates symmetry. Look at how the straight lines are used to create a seamless balance. Earthly colors nicely contrasted to make you feel like you wanna go on home-stay somewhere in the countryside. Plus, I love paintings of women! My image of Serbia has always been a very 'cold place' up in the north. So curious why a younger would paint something about green fields, I googled. Serbia sits in the Baltic region in Southern Europe. I've mixed Serbia with Siberia!
This last one is another gold medalist painted 'The City' by a 10-year old from Belarus on watercolor! I've always struggled handling watercolor in my art classes before. How super cool is that?! This is a piece that I would buy and would like to hang in my living room. I think (warning: I'm no expert!) that the watercolors were splashed out as a base and then the artist work out the details after that, thus creating a very bright (or rather light?) horizon. This one's so happy and alive. The artist, only at 10 years old already is signing his/her style into the art. The root of the structure is spiraling in a singular upward motion representing harmony, and notice the slightly curving, leaning lines at the sides adding creative tension.
Wow-! Imagine the artists are not even in their teens yet and they produce superb superb pieces! The future is indeed bright!

0 件のコメント: