火曜日, 8月 02, 2011

When Depressed....Book Read

When I was young and upset that my parents couldn't come to PTAs or school recognition day because they're both busy with their professional and social lives, I would always retreat to the comfort of my bedroom and read. I was practically raised in the public library, when kids were sent to nursery school, I was 'entrusted' to the Quezon City children's library when I was barely 3 years old. So...at 5 years old, I have read all the children's books there was - all in English of course lol! And I remember looking dreamily at the other section where more grown up kids go. At the age of 6, the good librarian gave me my 1st official library card, and I started to read Nancy Drew (of course!) and thus, the start of my love affair with books.
I bought How Starbucks Saved My Life, a true story by the author Michael Gates Gill, a man who was born into upper class, had a very successful career and with a flick of the eye lost everything - his job, his family. As fate would have it, he got a chance to be employed at Starbucks as a barista, he was 64 years old. He cleaned the toilet, did he coffee, throw out the trashes, punched the registers and performed seminars and taste-tests. And as he went through his 'journey' through what he thought was a horrific world, he learned a lot about true happiness, respect and love for self and others. Isn't just amazing how our most desperate times turn into a passion to become better, to improve. J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter's author was broke, just had a divorce and was desperately writing the Harry Potter first book in a cheap cafe somewhere in suburb UK. Had she given up,there won't be any Harry, Hermione and Ron. It never ceases to amaze me.

Going back to the book, for starters Starbucks didn't save my life. But it did offer new management techniques (I have the 1st starbucks book but it's currently in the hands of a friend hahah) and it revolutionized the meaning of 'customer service'. As to Mr. Gill and his book, I like it - for it is simple, direct to the point, raw with emotions and honest. Everyday is a blessing, every hurdle is a tease, every success, if earned with hard and honest work is all worth it. Tears are all worth it, if it means getting a step closer to happiness. Good night world!

0 件のコメント: